Thursday, February 19, 2015

rice congee




I'm feeling under the weather today
and I need something smooth to ease down the sore throat :(








rice porridge is all I've been thinking off to ease down my temperature
an easy fix where I could put all ingredients in the pot and leave it on the stove..
to whip up a miracle!



choosing the right rice is important in savoring a delicious congee
broken rice is the best and so is any full grain Thai-imported rice
but not Basmathi rice as it lacks the starch required


the beauty of porridge is that there is no hard and fast rule in its making
whatever I have in the fridge is fine
and as always..I picked it up from my mom :)




so here goes the recipe:



place 100 ml rice in a medium pot and wash it thoroughly until the water becomes clear

then pour 3 cups of water into the pot

toss in these must-haves into the pot: 3 crushed garlic + 1/2" thinly sliced ginger

then put the pot on the stove over medium fire

for the stock toss in 10 dried cleaned anchovies + 5 fresh prawns and let it boil

meanwhile for vegetables slice 1 tomato + 3 shiitake mushrooms + 5 okras

allow all ingredients to boil until the rice is cooked

add 1 tsp salt + 2 cups of water for the gravy to simmer gently

until it reaches a thick consistency

off the fire and serve hot

garnish with spring onions

best taken with condiment of soy sauce and green chillies!

voila :)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...